Online English Dictionary and Vocabulary Builder
1. [n] the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first base
2. [n] the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
3. [n] an honours degree of the highest class
4. [n] the first element in a countable series; "the first of the month"
5. [n] the first or highest in an ordering or series; "He wanted to be the first"
6. [n] the time at which something is supposed to begin; "they got an early start"; "she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her"
7. [s] being the gear producing the lowest drive speed; "use first gear on steep hills"
8. [s] ranking above all others; "was first in her class"; "the foremost figure among marine artists"; "the top graduate"
9. [s] serving to begin; "the beginning canto of the poem"; "the first verse"
10. [s] serving to set in motion; "the magazine''s inaugural issue"; "the initiative phase in the negotiations"; "an initiatory step toward a treaty"; "his first (or maiden) speech in Congress"; "the liner''s maiden voyage"
11. [a] preceding all others in time or space or degree; "the first house on the right"; "the first day of spring"; "his first political race"; "her first baby"; "the first time"; "the first meetings of the new party"; "the first phase of his training"
12. [a] highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections; "first soprano"; "the first violin section"; "played first horn"
13. [s] indicating the beginning unit in a series
14. [r] before anything else; "first we must consider the garter snake"
15. [r] the initial time; "when Felix first saw a garter snake"
16. [r] prominently forward; "he put his best foot foremost"
17. [r] before another in time, space, or importance; "I was here first"; "let''s do this job first"
1. [a] forward
2. [a] best
3. [a] opening
4. [s] archetypal
5. [s] archetypical
6. [s] prototypal
7. [s] prototypic
8. [s] prototypical
9. [s] basic
10. [s] introductory
11. [s] initial
12. [s] firstborn
13. [s] eldest
14. [s] freshman
15. [s] first-year
16. [s] oldest
17. [s] original
18. [s] premier
19. [s] premiere
20. [s] premier(a)
21. [s] prime(a)
22. [s] prime(a)
23. [a] ordinal
Look up words in the English4Today Online Dictionary and then add them to your personal dictionary (myVocab).
Turn your word lists into tests for yourself, your friends or your students ... add a translation ... make vocabulary sets and flash cards.
All you need to start your own personal dictionary web is a free English4Today membership.
Do you know the meaning of ...
English grammar software checks your grammar and spelling, and gives feedback as you write!