Online English Dictionary and Vocabulary Builder
1. [n] horse of a light grey or whitish color
2. [n] gray clothing; "he was dressed in gray"
3. [n] a neutral achromatic color midway between white and black
4. [n] any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are gray; "the Confederate army was a vast gray"
5. [n] United States botanist who specialized in North American flora and who was an early supporter of Darwin''s theories of evolution (1810-1888)
6. [n] American navigator who twice circumnavigated the globe and who discovered the Columbia River (1755-1806)
7. [n] English poet best known for his elegy written in a country church-yard (1716-1771)
8. [v] turn gray; "Her hair began to gray"
9. [v] make gray; "The painter decided to grey the sky"
10. [s] an achromatic color of any lightness between the extremes of black and white; "gray flannel suit"; "hair just turning gray"
11. [s] darkened with overcast; "a dark day"; "a dull sky"; "a gray rainy afternoon"; "gray clouds"; "the sky was leaden and thick"
12. [s] intermediate in character or position; "a gray area between clearly legal and strictly illegal"
13. [s] used to signify the Confederate forces in the Civil War (who wore gray uniforms); "a stalwart gray figure"
14. [s] showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge; "nodded his hoary head"
1. [a] achromatic
2. [a] cloudy
3. [a] intermediate
4. [a] southern
5. [a] old
Look up words in the English4Today Online Dictionary and then add them to your personal dictionary (myVocab).
Turn your word lists into tests for yourself, your friends or your students ... add a translation ... make vocabulary sets and flash cards.
All you need to start your own personal dictionary web is a free English4Today membership.
Do you know the meaning of ...
English grammar software checks your grammar and spelling, and gives feedback as you write!