Online English Dictionary and Vocabulary Builder
1. [n] the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near 2nd base
2. [n] merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name
3. [n] the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; "he had to shift down into second to make the hill"
4. [n] a speech seconding a motion; "do I hear a second?"
5. [n] the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
6. [n] a 60th part of a minute of arc; "the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here"
7. [n] following the first in an ordering or series; "he came in a close second"
8. [n] 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d''Unites
9. [n] a particular point in time; "the moment he arrived the party began"
10. [n] an indefinitely short time; "wait just a moment"; "it only takes a minute"; "in just a bit"
11. [v] transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment; "The officer was seconded for duty overseas"
12. [v] give support or one''s approval to; "I''ll second that motion"; "I can''t back this plan"; "endorse a new project"
13. [s] having the second highest gear ratio; "second gear"
14. [s] coming next after first; "a second chance"; "the second vice president"
15. [a] a part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first; "second flute"; "the second violins"
16. [s] coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude
17. [r] in the second place; "second, we must consider the economy"
1. [a] forward
2. [a] intermediate
3. [a] ordinal
1. [a] first
Look up words in the English4Today Online Dictionary and then add them to your personal dictionary (myVocab).
Turn your word lists into tests for yourself, your friends or your students ... add a translation ... make vocabulary sets and flash cards.
All you need to start your own personal dictionary web is a free English4Today membership.
Do you know the meaning of ...
English grammar software checks your grammar and spelling, and gives feedback as you write!